My Desert Island Mix CD
So my good buddy Castor over at Anomalous Material has me taking part in one of these blogathons that all the kids seem to be into these days. The idea behind this little ditty is that I’m stuck on a desert island with enough rations and hard liquor to last me a lifetime, but I’ve only got one CD with 12 choice tracks on it and a good ol’ Discman with infinite battery power to last me the rest of my days. But since this is a movie blog and I can’t just list my Top 12 favorite songs of all-time, there’s a catch: every song has to be from a movie soundtrack. Not an easy mix to compile, but neato bandito all the same.
Not gonna get too analytical as to why I chose these twelve bitchin’ tunes, but here’s my thinking:
– No instrumentals. Not my style. Sorry, Jonny Greenwood, Clint Mansell and Trent Reznor.
– Can only choose one song from a given movie.
– No repeat bands.
– The movie can’t suck.
Bearing in mind that my Pandora station hasn’t switched from The Kinks for the past month, I was pretty tempted to just go with the whole Rushmore soundtrack, but that’s no fun. In a nutshell, most of these selections are the ones that made my ears perk up and go “Holy shit, that is my new favorite song!” when I first heard ’em in their respective movies, but there’s one or two peppered in there just because they’re great songs matched with great movies. Alright, I’ve babbled enough. Here’s the list and give these songs a listen. Trust me, they kick ass.
1. “Making Time” by The Creation – Rushmore
2. “Where is My Mind?” by The Pixies – Fight Club
3. “Sister Ray” by The Velvet Underground – Brick
4. “To Love Somebody” by Nina Simone – I Love You Phillip Morris
5. “The Pusher” by Steppenwolf – Easy Rider
6. “Trouble” by Cat Stevens – Harold and Maude
7. “Things We Said Today” by The Beatles – A Hard Day’s Night
8. “I’ve Seen All Good People: Your Move” by Yes – Almost Famous
9. “The Sounds of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel – The Graduate
10. “Cosmic Dancer” by T. Rex – Billy Elliot
11. “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths – (500) Days of Summer
12. “Under My Thumb” by The Rolling Stones – Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Well, that’s it, folks. Hope that blew your minds ’cause I think all those songs and bands freakin’ destroy, and hey, hop on over to the Desert Island Mix CD headquarters over at Castor’s stomping ground to get more musical knowledge dropped on ya’ from the rest of the movie nerds in the blogosphere.
And much love to Castor for having me on board with this. Big fan of non-movie related lists, even if it is kinda movie related.