And the best movie chase scene is from…

May 23, 2011

BULLITT!

Damn right it is! High thirties for everyone!

RESULTS:
Bullitt: 10 votes
Ronin: 8 votes (so awesome)
The Matrix Reloaded: 7 votes (the best thing that either sequel brought to the table, IMHO)
The Bourne Identity: 6 votes
The Blues Brothers: 4 votes
The Road Warrior: 4 votes
The French Connection: 3 votes (I gotta see that again)
Terminator 2: 1 vote
The Italian Job: 1 vote (Mini Coopers just can’t win against muscle cars)
The Fast and the Furious: 1 vote
Vanishing Point: 0 votes (heard good things though)
– Other: 2 votes for To Live and Die in LA (never seen it, heard good things), 1 vote for Death Proof (good call, especially with Stuntman Mike involved), 1 vote for Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (never heard of it, will take your word for it), and 1 vote for The Bourne Supremacy (really need to watch those first two again).

Also, new post up from Moviefone on The Luckiest Guys to Ever Beat the Apocalypse in honor of our somehow dodging the reckoning this past weekend. Click John Cusack (aka: The Luckiest Mother Effer of All-Time) to check it out, yo.

1. HermioneO permalink
    May 23, 2011 11:35 am

Vanishing Point: It’s a whole movie about a car chase, which kinda makes you wonder what’s the point? Also, you need to differentiate between the original and the made-for-tv movie. The original was a brilliant counter culture thing, and the remake had Viggo Mortensen and a cool car and that’s about it.

Death Proof: Good one, but I had to vote for Bullit. Nice homage to Vanishing Point also.

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry: This was another of those early 70s (I think) movies that you have to love to be part of the muscle car culture. It’s required. All I can remember is the end of the movie when the girl says she has to pee and then the world blowing up.

• May 23, 2011 11:47 am

Yeah, I meant the movie, didn’t even know there was a TV remake.

And I have to freaking see Dirty Mary Crazy Larry now just for that scene. Will report back.

2. Lemon Meringue Copter permalink
    May 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Did any of the voters out here actually see these chase scenes?, the Bullitt chase scene was amateurish and blown way out of proportion by legend. Compare it to the intensity in the “To Live & Die In LA” chase and you’ll see what I mean. The Bullitt scene had only two things going for it: 1) Steve McQueen and 2) two of the best muscle cars ever manufactured, a 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 CID Fastback and a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum.

• May 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Hahaha. Well I saw Bullitt two weeks ago, I thought it was awesome, but I’ve never seen To Live and Die in LA so I can’t really say anything on that just yet. Will report back, but yeah, those cars kicked ass.

• Lemon Meringue Copter permalink
        May 31, 2011 8:35 am

I watched the Bourne Supremacy once more over the weekend, I’d have to say that car chase in Moscow at the end of the movie would have to be the best ever. I dare anyone to prove me wrong.

• May 31, 2011 8:51 am

I need to revisit those first two movies again, especially Supremacy. Loved that fight scene with Bourne and that guy with the knife whose hands are tied together.

3. May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

I saw Vanishing Point, and it was good. Always wanted to watch it because that crazy Quentin Tarantino.

• May 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Yeah, i really need to do my homework on that one. One of these days…

4. June 1, 2011 11:35 am

Would like to have seen the Death Proof chases by Tarantino. But that’s my fault for not voting!

• June 1, 2011 11:40 am

Haha. Well one person voted for it, and that really was a swell car chase to boot. Stuntman Mike – what a badass.

5. August 10, 2011 10:11 pm

What about the classic car chase scene in The French Connection!

• August 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Haha. It is a classic and it was one of the chases listed, but Steve McQueen had Gene Hackman beat this time. Thanks for stopping by!

6. September 7, 2011 3:46 am

how did the original “gone in 60 seconds” not make this list at all?
    -stone

• September 8, 2011 4:58 pm

I don’t know, man. Tragically, I’ve never even seen it. Maybe the Nic Cage remake is what’s keeping me away. Need to take care of that situation.

• September 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Idk, man. Such is the power of McQueen.