And the worst movie by M. Night Shamalamadingdong is…

July 12, 2010

THE HAPPENING!

I’ve been trying to refrain as of late from polls on a living director’s life work, but since I can’t see this guy’s career getting any worse than it already is, let alone someone actually entrusting him with their money, I think I’m doing the guy a favor.

Never saw this one, probably never will, but if I ever get around to doing a shitty movie marathon, that might very well change. All I know is that the wind is killing everyone. Sorry if that’s news, but you should probably thank me anyway.

The wind? Jesus Christ. Guy should have stopped while he was ahead.

RESULTS:
The Last Airbender: 5 votes (didn’t see it, won’t see it)
The Happening: 16 votes (didn’t see it, won’t see it)
Lady in the Water: 6 votes (didn’t see it, won’t see it)
The Village: 0 votes (would have been my vote)
Signs: 2 votes (not bad)
Unbreakable: 0 votes (actually really liked this one)
The Sixth Sense: 1 vote (sounds like someone’s still mad about that restraining order from Haley Joel)
Wide Awake: 1 vote (someone saw this?)
– Other: 1 vote for “It’s all been flaming hot crap the past decade, I can’t distinguish th” (too much hate, got cut off unfortunately).

Any predictions on what the hell his next “project” might be outside of living in a constant state of shame?

1. Darren permalink
    July 12, 2010 7:36 am

It is terrible. What’s a shame is that there might be a half-decent movie under there somewhere – The Ruins did the concept ten times better. And that isn’t really a good film, just an okay one.

Still, how often do you get to see Mark Wahlberg talk to plants? And plastic ones at that.

• July 12, 2010 7:39 am

lol, not sure how much of a selling point that is for me.

2. July 12, 2010 8:39 am

The Ruins is rubbish too! 😉 But then, like Darren said, it’s better than The Happening.

3. nothatwasacompliment permalink
    July 12, 2010 10:21 am

Lady in the Water still gets my vote as worst. The Happening is poorly acted and silly, but has a few effective scenes, and I didn’t hate it as much as I thought I would.

Lady in the Water was obnoxious in addition to being stupid and poorly made.

4. July 12, 2010 2:40 pm

oh dear. The Happening is a fantastic film. Unbreakable is the career high but The Happening is top draw stuff.

I don’t get it, I really don’t get it. People moan and moan that the cinemas are full of dumb cliche movies then one comes along that actually has a brain and some originality and it gets panned for being weird and stylized and, oh gosh, different.

This is a film that in a few years people will stumble across on TV or at the video store and be genuinely impressed by.

Also… “All I know is that the wind is killing everyone.” …see here it is, people don’t pay attention. People hear the characters come up with an idea and rubbish it even when the characters themselves don’t really know. We are told repeatedly. It’s not a film about gaia or revenge of the plants/wind/captain planet etc – its a film about people responding to an unknown danger and it 100% pulls it off. It is also the only time I have seen Wahlberg successfully carry a film.

rant rant etc

I spose you are either Roeper or Phillips on this one…

5. Branden permalink
    July 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Okay. I voted for The Happening because it was an interesting concept of Mother Nature exacting its revenge in horribly executed film. Look at the movie, the opening sequence was great, but then the wooden dialogue, the soulless acting got on my nerves. I had to laugh at it.

I thought the ending of The Village was a huge donkey punch to the audience. Really? Really!

6. July 12, 2010 6:06 pm

So glad this one won, because almost every single moment of this film, just makes me laugh my ass off!

7. July 12, 2010 6:38 pm

I’m the disgruntled Sixth Sense hater. At least all his other films have something interesting going on. I watched it, didn’t get the love, watched it again and found it uninteresting.

At least his other films amuse or entertain me, no matter how bad they are, The Sixth Sense is just mind-numbingly dull and monotone to me.

• July 15, 2010 8:46 am

Interesting, never heard that reaction. Makes me want to see it again.

8. July 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Definitely agree with The Happening. I mean, I’m pretty sure it’s the only film that features Zooey that I didn’t like….I thought that was impossible.

9. July 13, 2010 10:06 am

What I find frustrating about M. Nightmare is some of his concepts ARE so original, his execution is just awful.

I may be alone on this one, but Signs is his only truly good film in my eyes. The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were decent films, but since these three films he’s been, well, a nightmare himself. Frankly, I think he got caught up in his own self righteousness, arrogance, and lost the big picture. The whole part of Lady In The Water where he’s basically writing about how a writing saves the world with his ideas that no one understands now, but will later? Can we say egomaniac? A little arrogance is needed in the business, but his delusions have taken him to the brink and beyond. Unfortunately his work speaks for itself. Total utter shit.

• July 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Perhaps it’s time he hires someone to helm his films. I agree Heather, he’s an innovative and creative writer, but I think he wants to do too many things, I bet he’s a power freak.

Glad I haven’t wasted my time & money on The Happening, I’m just ok about Wahlberg but Zooey annoys me, so another reason to skip it. Glad to see Unbreakable got zero vote. It shouldn’t even be on this list as it’s a freakin’ great movie!

• July 15, 2010 8:50 am

Wow, had no idea that’s what Lady in the Water was going for. That’s no good.

And I totally agree about the execution fucking it up. Idk, just the way his characters talk to other really bothers me sometimes with all those lengthy silences and long pauses. All about creating that “mood” I guess.

10. July 13, 2010 12:56 pm

I really liked The Village, but I am in the minority on that one.

• July 13, 2010 5:32 pm

I like The Village, too, Fitz. Joaquin’s performance alone was worth seeing.

• July 14, 2010 11:35 am

Haven’t seen it in ages, all I remember is how un-scary it was and how annoying Adrien Brody was. May have to revisit it some day.

11. July 14, 2010 12:05 pm

haha… I kept calling M. Night the same thing on the now lost episode of MILFcast! SHAMALAMADINGDONG!

• July 15, 2010 8:44 am

Hahaha. Saw a video with Quentin Tarantino going over his favorite movies since he started directing and when he got to Unbreakable he kept calling him “Shamalamadingdong” and I’ve been following suit ever since. Dude’s got a shitty name.