And the best Christmas movie is…

December 7, 2009

DIE HARD!

Proving once and for all that nothing spells Christmas quite like killing German terrorists. Suck on that, Scut Farkas!

RESULTS:
It’s A Wonderful Life: 2 votes (my personal favorite, gets me every time)
A Christmas Story: 8  votes (classic)
Miracle on 34th Street: 1 vote
Christmas Vacation: 1 vote (“Mornin’, Clark! Shitter’s full!”)
Home Alone: 5 votes (suicide jokes and all)
Elf: 3 votes
Die Hard: 12 votes (Yippe-kai-yay indeed)
Other: 4 votes – 1 for Bad Santa (solid choice), 1 for Love Actually (surprisingly not my good buddy Fred’s vote), 1 for Scrooged (need to give that one another watch), and 1 for Le père Noël est Une Ordure (translates to “Santa Claus is a Stinker”; not sure this movie actually exists)

Sorry, Arnie, I promise I’ll do a Jingle All The Way poll next year.

1. December 8, 2009 9:51 am

Hi there,

you said: “not sure this movie actually exists”

Yes it does and yes it was my real vote, this is the best Chrismas movie ever.

see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084555/

There’s an American remake “Mixed Nuts” from 1994 with Steve Martin that I haven’t seen. (but I should although I loathe American remake of foreign movies)

I highly recommend that you find a subtitle copy of the original movie, a cult classic among French speaker world wide.

• December 8, 2009 11:15 am

haha. wow, i take it all back. i’ll happily seek this one out, hopefully it’s on netflix. never seen mixed nuts, but I think you’re right, from what I hear it sucks. thanks for the heads up, though!

2. Ryan permalink
    December 8, 2009 11:58 am

I have seen Mixed Nuts…. not Steve Martin’s best. Kind of a crappy movie

3. December 8, 2009 12:32 pm

I’m ALL about the Bad Santa. It’s like the anti Home Alone… brilliant!

“Nu-huh, last time I didn’t shit right for a week” – possibly my favourite movie quote ever.

4. December 8, 2009 7:27 pm

Mixed Nuts made our alternative Xmas film Top 10 (http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/765/) though admittedly it isn’t Steve Martin’s or director Nora Ephron’s best film. It fit our bill for alternative christmas films though, largely due to its flaws – for example, its far too dark for its own good, and its black humour is lost within its morally bankrupt characters. Martin tries his best of course.

Good choice for number 1 – for what it’s worth, they’re German terrorists – especially noted in the country for the German release when all the names were changed to their English equivalents – so the dastardly meanies were called Jack, Henry, and Charlie I think!

• December 8, 2009 7:34 pm

I am beside myself. The proper correction has been made. Hans Gruber…why did I think that was Russian? I need to watch Die Hard again.

5. Darren permalink
    December 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Yep, it’s got to be Die Hard.

But I’m also partial to The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Not because it’s a Christmas movie, but because it’s always on at Christmas. Maybe you should do a “best movies always shown at Christmas” bit? (Back to the Future or Indiana Jones?)

• December 14, 2009 11:24 am

Haha, not a bad idea. Looks like I got some good movies to review in the next two weeks.

6. your very favorite Aunt Tricia permalink
    December 14, 2009 3:01 pm

what the heck is all of have to say- not only is die hard not my favorite Christmas movie it is not even my second favorite or even my third favorite- it does not even rank in my top ten!!

7. December 15, 2009 10:03 am

Die Hard’s a great choice, although i would have Scrooged in my Top 1.
    Dan, good call on the German version – i had actually heard that Hans’ gang were Irish terrorists

Trackbacks